BOYS LIKE GIRLS Q&A
1. What lead to your decision to release “Be Your Everything” as the lead single for Crazy World?
We felt this song was the best bridge between the first two Boys Like Girls records and Crazy World. This was the song people were reacting to on first listen and that is very important. We wanted the best way to open the door to the whole album.
2. It’s been nearly three years since new BLG music has been released. You took time away from your band mates and traveled to Nashville. What changes during this time inspired the new musical direction?
When it was first time to make a new BLG record, the musical climate was pretty scary—radio programmers were asking for mixes of songs with no guitars, and bands were getting phased out of pop culture; we made a record that felt a little contrived and threw it out. It took some searching and writing music just to write—writing with no intention of what the song was for or whether it was going to be on any specific record. To collect the right songs for this album, I had to break outside the box of our previous releases and the pressure of what I thought our fans want to hear to write something that felt honest.
3. “Be Your Everything” is such an emotional, raw and vulnerable song. You’ve said that the only time you really express yourself is in your music. Seems this can be a scary thought since your music is constantly being critiqued and there’s pressure to produce hits. How do you push the pressure aside and allow yourself to just be real in your music? I’ve been writing songs since I was seven; it’s what I love to do. There was a time where I was really scared of what people thought, and that made me lose the plotline a little. The best songs come when I don’t put them in a box as Boys Like Girls songs. Writing with a bunch of other artists and working on other projects these past few years has helped a lot with letting go of the pressure. I’m starting to let myself just have fun crafting something that just feels good and real, then detaching and trying to stay out of the results. So much of success and what goes into a “hit” has nothing to do with the songwriting. I can only obsess so much or I’ll go insane.
4. You’ve penned songs for some the biggest names in the business. What’s the difference between writing for BLG and for others? Do you take the same approach?
Every song is its own beast. There are songs on this record that were not intended to be for Boys Like Girls that I fell in love with after the fact and just had to keep them. There is an “it factor” to songwriting that I can’t really explain—you walk into a room with a buddy, cowriter, or another artist and a few hours later after 3 cups of coffee you end up with a song. Maybe it’s good, maybe it’s not, but there’s magic in those few hours that’s hard to explain. It’s like blacking out—you never know what’s gonna happen.
5. BLG broke onto the scene when you were just 19 years old; how does the new LP Crazy World reflect your growth and the band’s evolution since gaining notoriety in 2006?
I think there’s a lot of commentary on this record about how much the world has changed even in just those 6 years. I think there is a noticeable difference in the dynamics as well—when I was 18 I just wanted to hear a wall of guitars and huge choruses that I could sing really high. I guess we’ve settled down and aren’t trying to attack the listener quite as much.
Check out the full article HERE
- picklejuiceeee reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- iihaveasecrett reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- redcup-handsup likes this
- redcup-handsup reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- sapphire-inkedveins likes this
- sapphire-inkedveins reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- bovayer reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- itsallchaaarrlieful reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- danitimelow likes this
- danitimelow reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- thesebandssavedmylife reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- thesebandssavedmylife likes this
- kymsnonsense likes this
- ohhheyitskatiee reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- ifeellikedancing17 likes this
- frenguinysnicket reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- fyeahkylehoh likes this
- blgphilippines reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- rainyf00l reblogged this from boyslikegirlssays
- jennmcdougalls likes this
- keepyourheaddownlow likes this
- jaredpadasecksi likes this
- mrscody likes this
- glamourshiz reblogged this from fuckyeahblg
- glamourshiz likes this
- bandmama likes this
- fuckyeahblg reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- myonlyregretishavingregret reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- littlechangeoftheheart likes this
- rachel-is-a-princess likes this
- megt94 likes this
- umyeahnothankyou likes this
- babblingbrooke likes this
- from-california likes this
- justdaydreaming reblogged this from boyslikegirlssays
- boyslikegirlssays reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- rescuemestarboyandshowmethechins reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- rescuemestarboyandshowmethechins likes this
- stuckinthemiddle8 likes this
- loveyoulikeasailor likes this
- learningto-fall reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- peacelove-happiness likes this
- adrianastysaysblg reblogged this from fuckyeahmartinsays
- adrianastysaysblg likes this
- fuckyeahmartinsays posted this